Courses conducted by Marieke Stordiau and Mariken Zandvliet
in Querceto val di Cecina in Toscane
Period: 2-9 July and 9-16 July 2016
In the heart of Val di Cecina between Volterra and the Etruscan coast is the sleepy village of Querceto, surrounded by fields and forests. The medieval castle of the family Ginori Lisci covers almost the entire Querceto. Count Lorenzo and his son Leonardo have in 20e century the village and neighboring areas cultivated. Querceto is now fully restored and a vibrant social and cultural life. From Querceto there is an enchanting view over the hills of the nature reserve of Monterufoli. www.castelloginoridiquerceto.it
20 minutes away is Bolgheri, known for the world-famous eponymous wine. 10 minutes away is the town of Cecina to the Etruscan Coast, where it is good to live with the many seafood restaurants. Inland is 25 km away Volterra with its Roman theater, Palazzo dei Priori and museums. Pisa is 80 km away, Florence 100 km. Arts, culture and Italian life are connected in this heart of Tuscany.
Workshops, private lessons and performances
Libera Accademia Natura e Cultura organizes many courses in Querceto. The organization hosts artists from various European countries and provides plenty of room for their own interpretation of their workshops in the field of visual arts, photography, music, dance, sculpture and cooking. Parallel to the courses, there is a varied program of concerts and operas.
Give a boost to your bassoon game!
Central to this course are your personal wishes to you bassoon game in one week a boost. As of Sunday, there is a daily scheduled private lesson bassoon. Mariken also coaches you in three days with chamber music for bassoon and piano. On four afternoons there is a scheduled hour in occupations fagotduo up to quartets. Also there twice ensemble playing in short pop-up concerts. The week ends with a final concert by The Amsterdam Consort and exhibition ith painting of the painter parallel course. Then the afterparty can start. In short, a boost with maximum personal attention to your bassoon game. In addition to the joint program is a lot of room for personal interpretation.
Marieke Stordiau and Mariken Zandvliet are dedicated teachers who have earned their spurs in the music world. Marieke is since 1991 member of the Dutch Wind Ensemble and Hexagon Ensemble, gave many recitals, played 20 years in the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, and presented with Foundation Lazy Wife small music theater where fairy tales were the common thread. Mariken as répétiteur at the conservatories of Amsterdam and Utrecht. She not only accompanies many young talents during their training, but also provides with various chamber music performances at home and abroad.
Parallel to the BassoonBoost also other courses are available
In addition to BassoonBoost, there are courses for flute, viola and cello. Visual artist Dorine Kuiper will also teach a painting course from 2-9 July, which might be extended to a second week of teaching from 9-16 July. Depending on demand, a course for amateur choir singers will also be held from 9-16 July – with as its theme the opera Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell.
Painting course 2-9 July: Musicians and Singers, the nexus of visual art and music
Under the guidance of Dorine Kuiper, participants will be making paintings inspired by the musicians and singers that are staying in Querceto for concerts, the opera and courses. At the end of the week, all paintings will be exhibited on the eve of the performance by The Amsterdam Consort.
Painting course 9-16 July: Fables of Leonardo da Vinci, the nexus of literature, visual art and music
The participants of this workshop will produce paintings inspired by the fables of Leonardo da Vinci. They will taught by visual artist Dorine Kuiper. At the end of the week, the paintings will be photographed and digitally projected on a screen during the performance by The Amsterdam Consort. The combination of the projection with the recital of the fables and especially selected musical pieces form an ode to Da Vinci. The paintings wil also be exhibited at the eve of the performance.
BassoonBoost, more than music …
BassoonBoost is more than just a bassoon workshop. Together with the participants of the painting course we offer a trip to the world famous town Volterra and Cecina or Bolgheri, a winery that makes the eponymous wine, we see the sun at the beach and we eat on the coast near Cecina. In addition, see the opera Suor Angelica by Puccini (week 9-16 July) in chamber music and hear.
Practical information and costs
- The workshops take place in the picturesque Querceto.
- BassoonBoost is for advanced amateur musicians.
- 1 and 2 bedroom apartments with private bathrooms.
- At extra charge ‘castle’ apartments are available, including use of the pool.
- Breakfast and dinner will be served, partly with members from other courses, musicians and students. Drinks are not included.
Performances, cooking workshop and trip to Bolgheri
- There is a trip to Volterra and an afternoon/evening trip to the beach, a tour of a vineyard and visiting Bolgheri 0r Cecina planned. The program can be entered at the request cook one workshop Italian.
- On Sunday, July 10th there is a performance of the opera Suor Angelica by Puccini with a local choir and ensemble (course 9-16 July). Fridays, July 8th and 15th, te final concerts by The Amsterdam Consort of the courses with afterparty.
Music and materials
- Present: parties for chamber music in various ensembles. Lecterns are present.
- € 1,400 for the lessons, stay in a 2-bed room with private bathroom (shared room), half-board, trip to Bolgherie visit opera, concert and afterparty.
- Early birds: € 1,290 until March 1.
- Surcharges: Memebercard Marco Polo € 15 per person; 1-person apartment € 20 per day. For partners, family € 110 per day (same as program participants, however, excluding the lessons).
- Excluding flight from Amsterdam to Pisa. Self-booking. What rather leave later, then returns from € 98 (per 12 February).
- Excluding transportation airport Pisa Querceto-Pisa. Cheap car rentals at the airport Pisa. On request € 120 per taxi ride to Querceto (max 4p). Local transport in consultation upon request.
Do you want to register for the course?
Mail to Albert Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about the course?
Mail to Marieke Stordiau, email@example.com
Download the brochures of the courses